Food, Drink, and Noise in the VCC Library and Learning Centre
To maintain a welcoming and respectful environment in the Library and Learning Centre that acknowledges the various uses of our space involving food, drinks, and activities that create noise.
The Library and Learning Centre is a shared space and is used by students in a variety of ways, including quiet individual study and collaborative group work. To fulfill these different needs, some areas of the Library & Learning Centre will be designated as Quiet Study. Signs will identify which areas are for Quiet Study.
Normal conversation levels are expected in parts of the Library and Learning Centre not designated as Quiet Study. Users are expected to be respectful (no shouting or loud/lengthy phone conversations), cell phones should be set to vibrate, and headphones should be worn for music/videos coming from mobile devices or computers.
Quiet Study areas are for those who need space for individual study. Users should have:
- Very brief, very quiet talking only (quietly asking for a pen is okay, reviewing the anatomy of the foot with a study partner is not).
- Cell phones on silent and no phone calls. Texting in silent mode is okay.
- Headphones in with sound that cannot be heard by others.
Food & Drink
Food and drink may be brought into the Library and Learning Centre under the following guidelines:
- Drinks are allowed in covered containers, such as covered plastic bottles, spill-proof travel mugs and disposable cups with lids.
- Most food is allowed, except for food that may disturb others (such as hot, aromatic food, food that is loud when consumed, food that is messy, and food that is known to cause severe allergic reactions).
- Users are responsible for cleaning up after themselves and depositing waste and recyclables into the appropriate containers.
Some areas may be designated as food-free; these areas will have signs clearly posted.
Library and Learning Centre employees have the right to determine what food and drink fall within these guidelines.
All users of the VCC Library and Learning Centre.
* As approved by LLCMG, February 1, 2018