Distance Learning students have the same VCC library privileges as other students at the College:
- Access to online resources available from VCC Library 24/7
- Possibility to request materials from other academic libraries using our service Request Materials from Other Libraries (ILL)
- Access to library staff by email, phone or chat. Our toll-free phone number is 1.866.565.7819
On top of that, Distance Learning students can request books, DVDs or articles to be shipped to their home address (within Canada).
See the Borrow, Renew, Request page for a complete list of your borrowing privileges.
Requesting Books, DVDs and Articles from VCC Library
Distance learners can request books, kits, or video/DVD from VCC Library, and have these items shipped to their home address (within Canada). The Library will send materials out as soon as they are available. Allow a minimum of 1 week. It may take longer if the item you requested is not on the shelf, or if it had to be ordered from another library.
The Library pays for postage or courier for all library materials sent to any address in Canada. It's important that your mailing address is current.
You are responsible for overdue fines if items are returned late and for replacement charges for lost or damaged material.
To request items to be shipped to you:
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org, making the subject of your email "Ship to me - distance student".
- Provide the information about the materials you want -- e.g. title, author, edition and publisher.
- Provide your student ID number. The Library will ship to you if you are properly registered as a distance student.
- Restriction: Short term loan items (e.g. Reserve material, music CDs) are not eligible for shipping.
Requesting Journal/Magazine Articles
Many articles are available in full-text through our online article databases. This is the easiest way to access articles quickly. Please see our list of databases.
To have articles that are not available online sent to your Canadian address, complete the Request for Journal Articles.
Borrow Materials from Other Libraries (in Person)
VCC students can borrow materials free of charge from the following BC post-secondary institutions:
- British Columbia Institute of Technology
- Camosun College
- Capilano University
- College of New Caledonia
- College of the Rockies
- Douglas College
- Emily Carr University of Art and Design
- Justice Institute of BC
- Kwantlen Polytechnic University
- Langara College
- Nicola Valley Institute of Technology
- North Island College
- Northern Lights College
- Northwest Community College
- Okanagan College
- Quest University
- Royal Roads University
- Selkirk College
- Simon Fraser University
- Thompson Rivers University
- Trinity Western University
- University of the Fraser Valley
- University of British Columbia
- University of Northern BC
- University of Victoria
- Vancouver Island University
- Yukon College